Sunday, July 26, 2009

What is tuition like for a career in massage therapy?

I tried looking through the NHI (National Holistic Institute)'s website, but all I could find was a page that just wanted my phone number and then they'd talk about tuition with me, and I'm not sure the tuition number they give me is the same they'd give for someone else - feels like dealing with a car dealership. Just looking for ballpark numbers.
Answer:
You're correct in that it can feel like you're dealing with crooks.
Masage schools are big money makers.
I've seen them as low as 1,200.00, I think the average is 2500 to 3000.
There are so many to choose from, go where you feel comfortable.
You are better off taking the course at a local community college, my girlfriend did this in Michigan, it was a two year certificate and I think it was 20 credit curiculum or so, at about $50.00 per credit plus tools (massage table, uniform books).
She completed it recently, but then realized it is a killer on the body, and really a dead end career track.She considers herself lucky she didn't dole out big bucks to find this out.So now she is jumping into nursing.
over the summer of 2005 I did alot of 'homework' to find a MT school. Here's what I found:It depends on which school you go to. A larger nationally known school will probly cost over $10k and smaller local schools will cost anywhere between $3k-$6k (depends on how many hours/courses you sign up for). I decided to attend a smaller local accredited school. I'm glad I did. I've heard from many other MT's and my current employer that the larger schools that cost so much do not spend enough time on 'hands-on' and focus on the lecture. Not good if you are pursuing MT. Find a school that spends 75% or more of the time with hands-on instruction.I hope you find a good school in your area.
judging by your name, I'm guessing you live in San Francisco. My boyfriend went to the World School of Massage and loved it. The prices were reasonable and the people are amazing. It is located on 32nd ave and one of the main roads, maybe Post or something. Anyway, check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment