Sunday, July 26, 2009

What one vitamin or herb you take and why?


Answer:
I take vitamin B12 and folic acid every day. (1000 mcg of each.)I suffer from clinical depression, and these vitamins themselves have been shown to cause marked improvement in mood, says my psychiatrist.Studies show that most depression patients are deficient in B12 and folic acid, as well as omega 3 fatty acids. (I try to eat more fish and eggs fortified with omega 3s, too.)Vitamins B12, B6, and B9 (folate) work closely together to control blood levels of the amino acid homocysteine. Elevated levels of this substance appear to be linked with heart disease and, possibly, depression and Alzheimer's Disease.
Well I don't just take one. I have many. Unlike that couple I saw on TV awhile back 27+ each day.Vitamin A and Beta Carotene and Eyebright for my eyes.Zinc, Magnesium, Vitamin E, Saw Palmetto, to restore my manly functions.
one that i don't miss taking daily is cinnamon.. it helps control my blood sugar...
CoQ10 dietary supplements. I have cardiomyopathy at 40 and i read from the internet that it is good for the heart. Also good for the gums... not proven though. But what the heck, maybe it is since i've never had gum or teeth problems ever since
I take a traditional chinese remedy called Goji (known in the west by the botanical name Lycium barbarum and the common name Wolfberry) daily, because it is packed with nutrients (19 kinds of amino acids and 21 trace minerals) and is the richest food source of carotenoids and is one of the most powerful antioxidants around - it has 500 times the amount of vitamin C by weight as oranges.They have been used for thousands of years in the east, and are becoming popular in the west thanks to the research of Dr Earl Mindell (author of The Vitamin Bible), one of the leading nutritionists around. There is a lot of research that has been done on Goji - over 70 studies are available at http://www.pubmed.org (search for Lycium barbarum).I've taken a variety of supplements over the years, but since a natural therapist introduced me to Goji last year, I've stopped taking everything else; Goji has so much in it, that I don't see the need to use anything else - and that certainly makes life simpler!You can find more information about the benefits of taking Goji at http://www.gojimedia.com.au/info/... . I buy mine in a liquid form (which is yummy, which makes quite a change from most other things I've tried!) online from http://soundhealthwa.freelife.com...

No comments:

Post a Comment