Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Why is there more food allerigies than ever before?

my step mom was talking about how when she was younger no one had allergies too any type of food and now its like every one does. why is that?
Answer:
I believe it is because we don''t eat whole, natural food anymore. Even fruits and veggies are full of manmade chemicals (insecticides, fertiliers, etc) Food used to be jome grown with minimal chemical additives but now we are adding all kinds of things to our food. Just my opinion.
Here is my theory on this. We live in such a germaphobic society nowadays. We have antibacterial soaps everywhere and wash off the good bacteria with it. We don't allow our own bodies to develop our own antibodies to certain bacteria. When I was a kid, my brothers and I would play outside and dare each other to eat dirt. I know really gross. But we never got sick and don't have allergies. So many kids are allergic to peanuts today, because any allergen introduced to the body has a bad reaction to it. So let them eat dirt!
I don't think everyone has food allergies, I don't know any.
I think a lot of people are just paranoid about getting a rash, gas or something.
There are more additives in food and if people just ate wholesome food like they did years ago they would probably feel better.
When I was a kid there was no prepared microwave food, it was all made from scratch and even tasted a whole lot better than it does today.
There was not as much of a variety then, it was just meat, vegetables, fruit, the basic stuff usually grown in the backyard garden.
Back in the 50's there were kids who had allergies to chocolate milk, so they said, but I never saw any kind of reaction they had.
over processing of foods which deplete our store of digestive enzymes. over industrialisation and unsustainable farming techniques that deplete the soil of nutrients. More polutants in the environment causing people to become more sensitive. People not drinking enough water and favoring carbonated drinks and booze. All kinds of different things have changed since yesteryear.
THE REASON:I learned this in my health class...Food allergies are more prominent today, because of a few different reasons. One of which is that new mothers aren't properly introducing new foods to the babies. When beginning to feed kids solid food, you are supposed to feed them one food at a time for about a week. You also aren't supposed to give them certain foods at a young age, that I see mothers giving their babies. Such early factors on the mother's part are relevant in developing food allergies. The next reason is that people today aren't getting balanced nutrition. For example, kids are replacing milk with soda. If your body isn't used to metabolizing a certain food that the majority of people eat, then your body will react negatively, hence, food allergies, such as being lactose intolerant. If you've never drank milk, and then one day decided to, you would find yourself, lactose intolerant. Your body has to become used to braking foods like that down.

No comments:

Post a Comment